Taking birth control. Bloating, crowding in abdomen, nausea, dry heaves. Have scleroderma. Should I be concerned about missed cycles?

I am 44 years old and on birth control. I have always been very regular. Lately I have found that I have missed a few cycles every 4-6 months. I have symptoms of bloating and fatigue and occassional feelings of crowding in my mid abdomen and chest causing nausea and dry heaves. Oh I have some type of undifferentiated arthritic condition leaning to Scleroderma. It is the only consistent test that is positive, Should I be concerned over these intermittent missed cycles? I have rosacea too and it get worse when I miss my period .
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Missing a few cycles every 4-6 months might be a normal finding while taking a birth control pill regularly.
The associated symptoms you are having might be suggestive of your perimenopusal cycles.
To differentiate that whether the missed cycles are due to oral pills or due to ovarian failure due to menopause, you can get you Serum FSH, LH levels evaluated on day 3 of your cycle. A raised levels of these hormones is indicative of menopause.
As such missing a few cycles is not indicative of any pathologic change in your case. Please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.