Taking benadryl for swollen and purple tongue. Not cured. What treatment should be done?

Hi my name is XXXXXX My tongue is swollen and purple on the back left side and hurts. I tried taking some benadryl but it is ineffective. Is this anything to worry about. I had this happen a few months ago and went to the hospital but they said it was a allergic reaction and gave me a epi pen and benadryl. This did not help and my tongue stayed swollen for 2 weeks. The same thing is happening again.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The description you give fits well into a presentation seen in allergic reactions.If Benadryl is not helping then a consideration into inflammatory or deficiency conditions has to be made.

The other cause where tongue swelling or ulcerations are commonly seen is nutritional deficiencies of Vitamins specially the Bcomplex.Such conditions usually present with swelling or ulcers on the tongue for few weeks and a gap of month or two. Taking an anti inflammatory like Tab Motrin 400 mg twice daily after food for three days will resolve an episode but taking Multivitamin supplements daily for two to three months will prevent recurrences.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking benadryl for swollen and purple tongue. Not cured. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I have read on line that maybe it is a vitamin deficiency, I take Fish oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin e, vitamin c, vitamin d3 and b-complex on a daily basis. Should I up the dose of B-complex? I did notice chest discomfort before both episodes. But, didn't associate it with the tongue swelling.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No , there would be no need for increasing the dose.Time for the recovery depends on the severity of deficiency. Hence, do continue on the same dosage.

The chest discomfort is not related to the present could be due to mild acid disturbances in the stomach.

Wish you speedy recovery.