Taking benadryl for cough. How long will it take for cure?

Hi there, I have had a chesty cough for more than ten days. I am not coughing that badly, but the underlying cough has not yet gone away. I am taking Benelyn cough mixture and sucking on Fisherman's friends. Will it go away and how long will this take? Thanks Marg
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from acute bronchitis. Do you have associated cold / fever / wheezing episodes?

2. You need to visit a doctor/ Pulmonologist.

3. Investigations required: Chest Xray. Sputum examination, Blood counts especially eosinophil count. If required a PFT (Pulmonary function test) may be advised to look for bronchial hyperesponsiveness.

4. Medications that may be advised are antibiotics, inhalers and antacid.

4. Avoid cold/ dust exposure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist