Taking bactrim for cellulitis in ankle and suffering from low grade fever. What is the cure?
User rating for this question
Had cellulitis (ankle/foot) 6 wks ago, redness and infection cleared up within 2 week with bactrim but swelling and fever started after last dose so continued for another few weeks ...took last dose again this morning and have low gr fever tonight. Been elevating and icing every chance I can but everytime I lower it to walk swelling starts to pool again in ankle...thoughts?
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis may not be adequately treated. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Presence of fever and swelling suggests than the infection is not completely treated or it may have spread deeper. Secondly the circulating bacterial toxins in the blood may also produce similar symptoms. The organism may be resistant to the antibiotic(Bactrim) and not responding to it. In this situation I would advise my patient to undergo some blood test and X ray to rule out spread of infection. Change to higher antibiotic for another two weeks and observe. Foot elevation and crepe bandage of the ankle. The common cause of recurrent cellulitis may be diabetes. Check your blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Follow-up: Taking bactrim for cellulitis in ankle and suffering from low grade fever. What is the cure? 13 hours later
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Musculoskeletal problem of the ankle. Detailed Answer: Hello, Good to hear the blood tests for infection and inflammation came out as negative. So the other possibility may be musculoskeletal problems related to ankle joint. I advise would be rest to the ankle, crepe bandaging, avoid weight bearing for at least a week. X ray/ MRI of the ankle will help to arrive at a diagnosis. Regards.
People also viewed
- Ayurvedic treatment for flexible flat feet
- Ayurvedic medicine for feberal seizure
- What do low grade fevers and headache mean
- Flu like symptoms and burning urination
- Ayurvedic medicine for strabismus squint eyes
- Flu symptoms with burning urine
- Pee burning in woman only sometimes
- What cause a low grade fever and headache for a week
- Essential tremors ayurvedic treatment
- What causes low-grade fever
- Stomach upset poop burns like fire
- Get pregnant fastly ayurvedic medicines
- Monistat stomach is burning
- Treatment and cure for low-grade fever
- Low grade fever what is the reason