Taking baby aspirin. Experiencing constipation and have bleeding hemorrhoids. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I just read the answer by Dr. Kukreja re my bleeding hemmaroid. Thank you doctor Kukreja.
My question now is since I have been on a daily baby aspirin for many years since my heart attack in year 2000, does it contribute to the bleeding of my hemmaroid? As I understood, aspirin has the effect of thinning the blood. Thus, will aspirin make my bleeding longer to stop? Should I stop taking the baby aspirin until the bleeding has stopped? It's now the third day my hemmaroid has started bleeding and the blood has remained bright red. Even after I had finished my bowel movement and cleaned myself with toilet paper, some blood continued to drip out from my anus. I do not seem to be constipated now but last week, I experienced some constipation and I drank some prune juice to relieve my constipation. Your answer is very much appreciated.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the kind words

Have been in to non invasive proctology for last 25 years and hemorrhoids is my research pathology

Yes clinically we have observed aspirin precipitate bleeding time

Your understanding of your disease is appreciable, you need to stop aspirin till bleeding stops

Add fiber and extra fluids to your daily intake to avoid constipation

Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Taking baby aspirin. Experiencing constipation and have bleeding hemorrhoids. Worrisome 52 minutes later
Thank you again Dr. Kukreja for your good advice. If I stop the baby aspirin right away, will it cause some sort of an adverse so-called "rebound" effect. I remember when I was in the hospital 13 years ago due to my heart attack, the cardiologist told me once I started the aspirin therapy, I must adhere to it regularly on a daily basis. If I stopped suddenly, it might trigger a "rebound" reaction and might result in another heart attack. However, about eight years ago, I had a few teeth extracted at the same time and I was told by the dentist to stop the aspirins five or so days before the extraction. I did and everything went OK. Do you think as I have gotten older now at age 73 (74 in August), it is still OK to stop the aspirin therapy until my hemmaroid stops bleeding? Thank you again. Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 28 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

I am sure it hardly matters stopping aspirin for 5 - 7 days

We have patients aged as old as 105 whom we have stopped aspirin without any rebound effect

Yet all is destiny

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Taking baby aspirin. Experiencing constipation and have bleeding hemorrhoids. Worrisome 6 minutes later
Dr. Kukreja: Thank you very much for your reply. Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 minutes later
Anytime XXXXXXX

Wishing you a healthy life ahead