Taking azithromycin 500mg for strep throat. What medicine should I take to cure it completely?

hi ive have strep throat and taking azithromycin 500mg and is slowly geting better
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 19 minutes later

Thanks for using the XXXXXXX

You have chosen the right drug Azithromycin 500 mg for the streptococcal infection. It will cover steptococcus bacteria.
I hope you haven't taken the same azithromycin in last 3 months. If you have taken better to change to other antibiotics as repeated use can lead to development of resistance in the organism to the antibiotic.

Make sure you take the drug 2 hours before food or 2-3 hours after food as the absorption will be better.

Along with tablet do start doing salt water gargle thrice a day and steam inhalation twice a day. This will help to recover faster and also prevent further infection.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks get well soon....

Dr Vidya K R
Follow-up: Taking azithromycin 500mg for strep throat. What medicine should I take to cure it completely? 5 hours later
hello pharyngitis pain is that normal
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 4 hours later
Hi, I think you are happy with the feedback and getting better.

Always do remember that prevention and first aid is the best treatment for any disease / disorders. If fever persists, you can take tab Tylenol 500 mg when required.

Hope you doing well. Please close the query if satisfied.

Take care. Good night.

Dr. Vidya KR