Taking azithral for throat infection, cough and fever. Recur after stopping medication. Proper cure?

My father is paralytic and mostly immobile. About 12 days ago he developed throat infection. He was breathing heavily with lot of thick mucius formation and cough and fever. was on azithral for 10 days and monclair Lc. Became better. After 10 days azithral was stopped. started developing symptoms again after 1 day. what do we do.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I note all the history and the current problem.

You need to get him evaluated in detail.
A good physical, hemogram, Xray chest, urine routine, sputum gram stain and culture, blood sugar to begin with.

Since he is immobile and already had drug resistant infections, there are possibilities of:
1.     Aspiration pneumonia/ community acquired pneumonia and not just throat infection. It will show on examination and Xray chest.
2.     Inadequate course of azithromycin or dosage.
3.     Resistant bugs again.
4.     Transient suppression by azithromycin

Please get him examined well as above.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Taking azithral for throat infection, cough and fever. Recur after stopping medication. Proper cure? 42 hours later
Thank you Doctor,
can you tell me what is the proper course /dosage of azithromycin.
His doctor has now put him on doxy for 10 days and his sputum has gone for culture. Clinically , he does not show pneumonia.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 4 hours later
The azithromycin dosage may vary a little for various conditions.
For upper respiratory and mild lower respiratory tract infections, it is 500 mg on day 1 followed by 250mg up to day 5.
May be prolonged if clinical recovery is slow. Usually not more than 7-10 days.

It is good to be guided by the culture sensitivity of the secretions in such cases.

Would be glad to assist you further if needed.

It would greatly help if you could upload any report/ images here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)
All the best!