Taking azifast 250 mg for acne treatment and found pregnancy. Side effects on baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I want to consult a gynaecologist.

I'm six weeks Pregnant and couldn't detected earlier that I was pregnant and was taking Azifast (Azithromycin) 250 mg Pills for Acne Treatment for last 20 days.

Please tell me is there is any side effect on Baby.

Thanks and Regards
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, Azithromycin is an antibiotic. It is a category B drug. That means either there is no controlled study about the side effects among the pregnant women, or animal reproduction study has shown that it has a side effect which is not confirmed in the controlled study in pregnant women in first trimester.

So, as such there is no proved side effect of azithromycin on the fetus in first trimester of pregnancy.

But try to avoid this drug in future during pregnancy.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking azifast 250 mg for acne treatment and found pregnancy. Side effects on baby? 3 minutes later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

Just wanted to know does this Drug has any side affect on the development of the Brain or other organs of Baby??

Waiting for your reply

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

I have already told you that there is no specific study conducted on pregnant women for the side effects of this drug.

So, there is no proved side effect of this drug on the development of the Brain or other organs of baby.

Regards.