Taking avodart for hair loss. Started feeling loss of libido, muscle wastage and breast growth. Worrisome

I am 26 m
I took avodart for hair loss and got significant side effects : loss of libido, ED, muscle wastage, breast growth etc
What do I do? I have been off for over a year and the sides have barely gone away.
All doctors I tell think it is nonsense. All my blood tests come back normal.
Please can you help? I am suffering. Do you know when the side effects will go away?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 hours later
Avodart is dutasteride, a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor meaning it blocks the receptor of the male hormones on selective sites. It is approved for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) but used off-label for male pattern baldness. About 1-5% of individuals taking avodart can experience the side effects you are reporting. However these cannot persist beyond discontinuation of the medication. The drug is not known to cause long term hormonal problems. So your side effects should have reversed upon stopping the medication. I see you are stating that all your blood tests are normal. Typically when endocrinologists see people with these type of complaints, the following tests are ordered: CBC, Complete Metabolic Panel, TSH, free T4, Total testosterone, SHBG, FSH, LH, Estradiol, quantitative beta hCG, Prolactin, Iron studies. There is no need for fasting for these tests but thye should be done earlier in the morning between 7 am and 9 am
Follow-up: Taking avodart for hair loss. Started feeling loss of libido, muscle wastage and breast growth. Worrisome 2 days later

just also a follow up quesiton regarding blood work i just had done

i was asked to fast for 8 hours take a blood test then drink a sugar drink and take another blood test

my insulin fasting was 35 pmol/L (reference range 13-161)

my insulin 120 min was 46 pmol/L

Is this of any concern?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
The test you are describing is along the theme of Oral Glucose Tolerance test which is typically used to determine if an individual has deranged glucose handling ie either pre-diabetes or diabetes. But for that purpose the glucose levels are measured and not Insulin. So it appears this was probably aimed at assessing your insulin resistance. Regardless, this is not a standard test used by clinicians and most often a research tool. So I will not be able to interpret this for you.