Taking aviane. Decreased menstrual bleeding and have sore breast. HPT negative. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
I am 22 years old have been taking my birth control (Aviane) religiously for the last 5 months, my period is due on the 23rd and my l ast period lasted 2 days and was mostly dried old blood. The last 4-5 days my nipples have been very sore and my breasts have been a bit tender. I took a pregnancy test on Dec 26th which was negative because of the abnormal period and took another test today which also came back negative. Is this normal and could it be caused by my birth control or is it likely I am pregnant?
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
It is common to have decreased menstrual bleeding while on birth control. It does cause alteration of your normal bleeding pattern.
Also, the nipple soreness and breast tenderness is a well known side effect of birth control pills.
As two pregnancy tests are already negative, please do not worry anymore
The symptoms you have mentioned are most probably due to Aviane.
However, you should have regular followup with your healthcare provider, while utilizing any form of birth control, so please be particular about that.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.