Taking avanza for anxiety. Getting chronic head tension. Any effective medication?

Im currently on 30mgs of avanza (2days) from 10 mgs (1week) due to my anxiety. Ive tried numerous SSRI's which effected my sleep so my pschiatrist decided to switch to avanza. My issue is that i get chronic head tension daily that just seems to not go away. It feels like whenever i frown, it feels heavy from around my eyes to all parts of my head.. he has suggested to try a mood stabilizer called Epilim. After doing some research, i can see it used for conditions like epilepsy. It terms of treating anxiety and chronic head tension, how effective can this be? Im a little sceptical thats all as my Dr has asked me to start with 500mgs. Combining this with Avanza, will i be able to wake up ok tomorrow?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Avanza contain mirtazapine. It is a good medicine to control anxiety. Its effective dose range to control anxiety is 15 to 45 mg.

In anxiety many patient used to have headache due to muscle spasm, like we have headache due to spasm of forehead muscles at the time of tension. Effective management of anxiety will reduce your headache too.

Epilim contain sodium valproate. It is used in prophylaxis of migraine. For me your headache appear due to anxiety. I would like to prefer only Avanza in your case. Usually this medicine take 2-4 weeks to show its effect. Till that time you can use analgesics in case of severe headache.

Apart from that relaxation exercise like: Yoga, breathing exercise and Jacobson's Progressive Muscle Relaxation will help you in pain problem.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.