Taking atorvastatin, clopidogrel, aspirin and metoprolo. Will it be safe to take pure MDMA?

Hi, I am currently taking Atorvastatin 80mg, Clopidogrel 75mg, aspirin, and Metoprolol Tartrate 12.5mg for the last 5 years. I don't drink alcohol but I do smoke.
Tonight a friend and I want to take pure MDMA for a night in. My question is what are the dangers of mixing these prescribed drugs with MDMA?. am I putting myself at a greater risk, do they not mix well with MDMA, or am I just getting paranoid? I have not experienced any heart problems or chest pains since I started taking them 5 years ago, when I had two stents put in after having Angina. What is your recommendation
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

There are two reasons why taking MDMA can be risky in your scenario.

One is the possible risk of interaction with the prescription medication you are currently on. This is because MDMA is a 'sympathomimetic' drug, which means that it has effects in altering heart rate, blood pressure and cardiac output. Whereas you are currently on blood pressure medication and medication for your heart. So, there is a likelihood of MDMA causing an interaction and impairment in the effectiveness of the prescription medication.

The second risk is an independent effect of MDMA causing constriction or spasm of blood vessels. Sometimes, this can result in spasm or constriction of the coronary blood vessels i.e. the blood vessels supplying the heart, and thereby put the person at risk of compromised blood flow to the heart or angina. Persons who already have had poor blood flow to the heart / angina have to be extremely careful not to take any drugs which can worsen the problem.

So, my opinion is that taking MDMA with your pre-existing heart problems and the current medication is risky and has to be avoided.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist