Taking atorvastatin and was advised to take statin drugs for cholesterol. Suggest medication to treat neuropathy?

Nov 2013

I have been taking atorvastatin for more than 2 years.
I had a visit with a neurologist recently and was advised to not take statin drugs for the reduction of choloresterol .
I had developed neuropathy and was having a hard time walking and taking falls.
Is there any other medication that I can take to treat the neuropathy.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

The treatment of neuropathy involves:

1. Treating the underlying cause- in your case, atorvastatin use was suspected, so, it has to be avoided. In addition, one should look for diabetes, thyroid problems, symptoms such as tingling, burning, pain, etc, then, medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin would be useful.

3. Use of vitamins such as vitamin B12, alpha lipoic acid, pyridoxine, thiamine, etc may help in nerve regeneration, and may be used as supplements.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: