Taking atenolol and lisinopril for hypertension. Elevated heart rate after taking cortisone injection

I am a 42 year old female w/history of hypertension for 20 years. I take atenolol twice daily and lisinopril qhs. Today I had a cortisone injection in my back today and now my heart rate is 157. It has been rising over the past year. My avg. BP is 140/90's to the other night 175/107 heart rate ranges between 84-100. Bp currently is 118/92. Is this caused by the injection.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 19 minutes later

Cortisone as such does not cause an increase in the heart rate. It can cause an increase in the blood pressure, but that occurs when it is taken over the long term

It is possible that your heart rate has increased due to the anxiety.

However, since you have also mentioned in your history that you do have a flutter, has an electrocardiogram been done for you recently? If the ECG was normal, then the increased heart rate is only related to the anxiety.

You could also ask your physician to adjust the dosage of atenolol so that both your blood pressure and heart rate can be controlled better.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Taking atenolol and lisinopril for hypertension. Elevated heart rate after taking cortisone injection 15 hours later
I have had several EKG'S, that are abnormal, showing an inverted Twave. I saw a cardiologist that did an ultrasound of my heart about a year ago, he said I have a small leaky valve and an enlarged heart. I am to see him again around the 19th of this month. 3 months ago I had severe pitting edema, which was rectified by taking me off Norvasc and giving me lasix prn. I have had severeral bouts of dizziness and nausea.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 8 hours later

Since you seem to have a valvular problem and an enlarged heart and are on lasix, the rapid pulse may be due to a little bit of failure of heart that may require addition of another drug called digoxin besides the lasix.

For this you will need to go back to your doctor for a review session.