Taking atenolol. Having chronic patches of plague psoriasis. Side effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I am taking atenolol for last 18 years. For last 7 to 8 years i am having chronic patches of plague psoriasis. Is it the side effect of prolonged use of the atenolol. If so what is the cure.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 minutes later
Hi there.
It is very possible that the psoriasis like lesions are a result of use of atenolol.
Please go across to your treating physician, appraise him of the situation & he could easily change to a drug from a different group avoiding the B-blockers as these drugs are commonly grouped under. This should sort you out!
Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Taking atenolol. Having chronic patches of plague psoriasis. Side effect? 4 minutes later
WHAT IS THE POSSIBLE GROUP OF ALTERNATE MEDICINES WHICH WILL NOT TRIGGER PSORIASIS.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 44 minutes later
Hi again.
Your physician will be in the best position to advise on this because he/she has to be comfortable on the medication for hypertension as per his/her experience. I would think ACE inhibitors or calcium channel blockers should do well..but again, the final choice rests with the treating physician. I have only categorically said that Beta blockers are best avoided. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD