Taking atenelol and coversyl. Prescribed modafinil for hyper insomnia. Any interactions between these drugs?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi there, a relatively quick one. I have been prescribed modafinil for my hyper insomnia, but forgot to tell my doctor i am currently taking 50mg Atenelol a day in addition to 10mg Coversyl. Would the modafinil effect me in a XXXXXXX way as i read it may. Looking forward to a detailed answer. Thanks so much.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Modafinil is a medication which promotes wakefulness and is often used in the treatment of a variety of sleep disorders like hypersomnia, narcolepsy, sleep shift disorders, etc.

Atenolol is a selective beta blocker and Coversyl is an ACE-inhibitor, both of which are anti-hypersensives.

There are no significant drug interactions between these medication, know to cause any serious adverse effects. So, it should be okay to take Modafinil along with the medication you are already on.

Like any medication, Modafinil can have some side effects. Common side effects are headache, dizziness, flushing, sweating, gastic irritation, dry mouth, etc. Most of the side effects are mild and are self limiting. A very small proportion of persons may experience prolonged or more serious side effects, but this is quite rare. Modafinil can also have a habit-forming tendency if taken for prolonged periods.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking atenelol and coversyl. Prescribed modafinil for hyper insomnia. Any interactions between these drugs? 13 hours later
Thank you for the advice. Do you think 100mg would be safe, or should i start with a lesser dose.

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 hours later
100mg is the minimum starting dose for Modafinil, and hence it would be quite safe to take this dose.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist