Taking ascal brisper and simvastatine after minor stroke. If Arthrotec would have caused stroke?

I was taking ascal brisper and simvastatine after a minor stroke. I was also taking Arthrotec which contains diclofenac. I have recently discovered I am not supposed to be taking Arthrotec and my doctor has not told me not to take it. I fear it was overlooked when I had the stroke. I am loathed to take it as I am warned against it if you have had a stroke. I wonder if the Arthrotec caused the stroke? BUT I am on holiday and have no pain killers for the muscle pains. What do you suggest? I need to enjoy myself and walk but cannot walk far at all. Does Simvastatine interact with fibromyalgia sufferers too? I feel my symptoms have got worse recently. When I take Arthrotec I feel better, but if the warningsare to be heeded I shouldn't take it.

Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Dear patient,

Indeed if you take aspirin you should not take diclofenac, as it negates the beneficial effects of the antiplatelet; thus, options to control your pain would include acetaminophen, or other class of medications such as tramadol. Also, specific medications such as pregabalin and gabapentin help with chronic pain from fibromyalgia.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN