Taking armour for hypothyroid. Feeling anxiety, loss of appetite and heart palpitations. Safe remedy?

Question
I had a question regarding my wife. She is 42 years old. She has been taking Armour medication for hypothyroid (15 mg) since XXXXXXX 10th. She was taking synthroid (25 mcg) from mid October until then. She was switched from syntroid because it was giving her extreme anxiety, loss of appetite and heart palpitations. The armour seemed fine for a while but about a week ago the loss of appetite started coming back with occasional light-headedness,and anxiety came back too, but not as bad as it was on the synthroid. Now, She is also experiencing dull pain below her rib cage on the right side and also in the back for about a week. She is having yellowish bowel movements and they are somewhat loose. She is not eating too much because food is not appealing. She has lost about 12 lbs in the last month without any exercise and not attempting to lose weight. . Do you have any thoughts on what this could be and what she should do next?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. First thing is to check thyroid profile to see if its normal. If thyroid function tests are normal then these symptoms cant be attributed to her thyroid problem. Not all the symptoms in a hypothyroid patient are in any way related to thyroid dysfunction perse or its treatment. Looking at the nature of symptoms they dont seem to be related to hypothyroidism. She seems to be having anxiety and XXXXXXX some gastrointestinal problem that has led to weight loss. She requires detailed evaluation in a speciality setting involving a physician, gastroenterologist and psychiatrist. Because of nonspecific nature of symptoms it is difficult to fix the etiology without proper evaluation. I suggest you dont ignore the symptoms to be due to hypothyroidism. We habe to think of a different cause/causes. I wish I could tell you what has caused these symptoms but Im afraid I cant because of non specific nature. Get investigated and till that time take calcium, vitamin D and multivitamin supplementation.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad