Taking antidepressants for many years, have suspected bipolar. Taking lexepro. Suggest?

I have been taking antidepressants for many years, have managed well, have never seen a psychiatrist ( been afraid) but always suspected (been pretty sure) I was bipolar. I've liked the highs,felt creative, got a lot done, etc and didn't want to treat that part of it. I have gotten my meds through my family doctor. (generic for lexepro) In the last couple of days, I have been really euphoric during the day at work, but want to cut myself (never have,never will) and have been depressed at night (more than usual) Not the first time I have felt the desire to cut. Question: is that desire to cut myself another symptom of bipolar?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query
I have gone through your statement in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Bipolar mood disorder is a disorder where in you will be having frequent mood upswing and downswing. And it needs to be treated properly otherwise it can lead to problems later on by becoming resistant disorders and an untreated BMD causes damage to brain as well.
The mood swings that you have mentioned are ultra ultra rapid cycling and such disorders respond well to valproate.
Coming to your cutting query, a person with BMD when in a depressed phase may attempt cutting as a self harming symptom. Moreover many times BMD is associated with borderline personality disorder and then cutting occurs more frequently.
Hope that explains your question
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Taking antidepressants for many years, have suspected bipolar. Taking lexepro. Suggest? 1 hour later
I like felling really happy and creative. Can I continue to treat the depression and lack fo sleep and leave the euphoria part alone. I would also like to start experiencing life and getting out of bed and do stuff too. I can live with the racing mind. Are there meds that would make me skinny and less deprecating while we're at it.? Slicing off you arms I can do without as well.
The impulse to dance is good....let.s get rid of the tears

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lets look at the bigger picture

Detailed Answer:
Well Well Well. Many of my patients have this suggestion that they like the hypomania picture and dont want to loose it. On the other hand they want to get treated for depression.
However with time their period of normalcy wanes and depressive episodes will occupy most of their time with very brief episode of hypomania. And by that time it will be too late to start the prophylactic treatment.
Regrding the weightloss, it has to be done on a difficult way only by sweating in a gym and eating restrictions.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy