Taking antibiotics for tonsillitis. Having fever and feeling weak. How long it takes to get cured?

ENT Specialist
Hi I currently have tonsillitis and I'm on my 5th day of taking anti biotics. Although my throat feels better I was just wondering how long it takes to recover ? I have had a fever with it an still feel very weak
Do what's the normal recovery time got tonsillitis? My e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. The antibiotic may then be changed accordingly. Most antibiotics show results in 48-72 hours.

3. Start a medicated gargle such as Betadine or Tantum.

4. If you do not improve in a couple of days, get your self re-examined.

5. Get your routine blood tests done. These will also help differentiate viral infections which may not respond to antibiotics. Viral infections may last longer than a week and be a cause for generalized weakness.

6. Try turmeric in warm milk at night. Do you have a cough?

7. You may follow up with the results of your examination and investigations here for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.