Taking antibiotics for diverticulitis and nausea. Feeling depressed. Is it curable?

G'day Dr XXXXXXX I have a flare up of diverticulitis with nausea ..I do take antibiotics too..obviously this condition is incurable but I do get depressed when this happens..I have not been able to pinpoint the reason for the new flare up..your response would be appreciated..thanks XXXX in Oz...
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Diverticulitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Diverticulitis is due to inflammation and infection of the diverticula.(Small mucosa pouch). There are some risk factors which causes repeated diverticulitis like aging(More than 40 years), too little fiber in the diet, lack of exercises, smoking and obesity. In my opinion the advancing age may be the many cause for recurrent diverticulitis in your case. Basically the treatment approach dependence upon the severity of the symptoms. In my opinion if the symptoms are mild like nausea, abdominal pain then the treatment is liquid diet, low fiber diet and antibiotics. If the symptoms are severe and not responding to the above methods then the treatment option is surgical like bowel resection. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there are any clarifications. Regards.