Taking antibiotics and acid blocker for H. Pylori and potential peptic ulcer. Had red tissue in stool. Reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
49 year old male Caucasian, currently taking antibiotics and acid blocker for H. Pylori and potential peptic ulcer.
Have noticed in recent stools, red tissue-like material, maybe as much as one tenth by volume and floats more than normal stool. Is this something I should have tested or worry about?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Peptic Ulcer

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

Why are you taking medication for H.Pylori bacteria? Have you undergone any endoscopy/antibody test?

Do you have any history of weight loss?

Red color in stool indicates presence of blood and you should go for thorough check-up.

Red blood (if blood is in small amount) from gastric/ duodenal ulcer generally gets converted in black color after exposure to acid in stomach. If large amount of blood leaks from pepic ulcer,then it may come in red color without changing in black color. But in such cases, blood generally also comes out from mouth. Do you have any blood in vomit?

You should also consult with physician and surgeon and go for localanal check up by proctoscopy.

If proctoscopy is normal,then you should go for colonoscopy.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Taking antibiotics and acid blocker for H. Pylori and potential peptic ulcer. Had red tissue in stool. Reason? 7 minutes later
Yes, I did test positive for H. Pylori after going to the my doctor a week ago. I did vomit a small amount of blood prior to that visit, which was the reason he prescribed the tests. We are now waiting to complete the anti-biotic treatment before having an endoscopic exam.

I am not due to return to my doctor for another 10 days, but I was concerned whether the bloody tissue was normal for a possible peptic ulcer/H. Pylori infection.

Thanks for your reply.

H.pylori antibody test has no significance although this is done in few hospital.

H. pylori breath urease test has significance and its better for you to go for endosocpy.

Yes..you should go for endosocpy urgently. First, you should go for UGI endosocpy and if it is normal then you should go for colonoscopy.

Let me know your views.

Sincerely,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Taking antibiotics and acid blocker for H. Pylori and potential peptic ulcer. Had red tissue in stool. Reason? 23 hours later
Thank you for your advice, I have scheduled a doctor visit and will let you know the results.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
All the best.
Take care,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava