Taking antibiotic for transparent boils over legs, wrist and elbows. Bacterial infection or allergy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi my son is 2years 5months old , from last tow days he is having skin allergy like transperent boils over knees, legs, foot, palm, wrist and on elbows,I find it is nt decreasing after giving him antibiotic started on 26th night and T-bact ointment I am applying on the boils thirce a day.
what is the reason for allergy my Dr says it is Bacterial infection, how many days it may take to reduce and tell me wheather should I go for blood test if it nt decreases today.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
I assume your child's pediatrician has examined the lesions and provided a probable diagnosis.
I will try to clear your doubts to the best of my ability.
Allergy and infection are not the same.Allergy is possible if there is any prior history of exposure to new place, dust,clothing, chemicals or medicines etc and there is predominant itching .Infection is more likely if child had any fever , lethargy , irritability, sick child.
In case your child has clear fluid filled vesicles( blisters) only on his limbs they are most probably due to viral infection like varicella , or Hand foot mouth disease( if oral ulcers present).
In case there are reddish papules or pustules ( pimple like ) lesions on his limbs then it is most likely a bacterial infection but sometimes an allergic reaction to medicines , soaps or any other chemicals can too present this way.
In most cases majority of viral infections resolve on their own in 1-2 weeks and most acute allergic reactions subside within a week if treated with appropriate anti allergic medicines.So even if your child has a probability of Hand foot mouth disease it should recover with supportive treatment in a week or so.
T bact is a good antibiotic ointment for local application on bacterial skin infection .
However if there is no response in more than 3 days or further worsening then it's best to get your child further evaluated by your pediatrician or a skin specialist. The doctors might want to run baseline investigations like CBC and throat swab or smear of the fluid discharged from the lesions.Depending on that your doctor might start oral antibiotics or antihistamine drugs
As of now it's advisable to wait for a couple of days to watch for improvement .
Meanwhile make sure your child has plenty of fluids and a nutritious diet. If there is considerable itching then ask your doctor for oral anti allergic antihistamine syrups ( atarax , cetrizine etc)
If there are any associated symptoms like oral ulcers , fever, bleeding from any site or swelling of limbs then please report it to your doctor immediately and get him tested.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further doubts or additional information .
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Taking antibiotic for transparent boils over legs, wrist and elbows. Bacterial infection or allergy? 1 hour later
Can I give eggs to my Child?

Please tell me should I follow any diet?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes you can give eggs to your child ( even daily).
At this age it's difficult to make your kid follow a particular diet however you should try to include the following nutritious food stuffs in his diet
1. Protein XXXXXXX foods like eggs , milk and dairy products, meat in case of non vegetarians and pulses and legumes for vegetarians.
2. Fibre and vitamin XXXXXXX fruits ( all seasonal fruits can be given if accepted) especially apples, bananas, papaya etc and XXXXXXX vegetables especially spinach and other leafy vegetables.
3. Energy XXXXXXX nuts ( almonds) and raisins , dates etc
4. Every day the child should consume whole grain cereals atleast 1-2 servings ( wheat, rice etc
Don't worry if your child doesn't seem to consume so much regularly as its normal at this age.Just make sure to introduce a variety of foodstuffs so that he accepts those as he grows older.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child good health.