Taking antibiotic for flu and pneumonia. Started feeling weak. How long it takes to cure?

I have had the flu and then pnuemonia for about a month THE dr gave me antibiotics and has now given me an imnhaler touse three times a day I feel vey weak and ocasionally dissy my blood pessure has risen to 107/63 I AM 80YRS OLD, FEMALE and am isually very full of energy How long do I expect this to last? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 1 hour later

I am sorry to know about your condition. Pneumonia is a recognized complication of flu particularly in immunocompromized patient. Usually antibiotic is given for a period of 7-10 days in pneumonia.
If any complication occurs then the duration may be extended.

Sometimes weakness persist for few days due to disease itself or side effects of the prescribed antibiotic. The dizziness and transient elevation in blood pressure may be related to your inhalers.

If your chest complaints, fever had subsided then you need not be concerned. You may check an chest x-ray after 3-4 weeks of treatment completion. However if dizziness is troubling you, it would be worthwhile to go back to your treating doctor. He/she can evaluate you and consider changing your medications.

I hope I have been of some help. Please ask if you have another query.