Taking antibiotic for diverticulitis. Feeling pain after taking milk. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
yes and thank you .I recently was told I have diverticulitis .I am on pain meds and two antibiotics .my question .Milk or dairy appears to really set me off with pain .but most reading I have done never mentions that milk can cause issues .Is this normal ?
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Generally milk is something abnormal for the human body except first 6 month of the life. It contains great values of vitamins and other nutritions, but it also contains casein, the protein which has questionable value for human body. This protein is very similar to gluten and some people are not able to digest it. There is a lot of controversy around this protein. It can cause allergies, indigestions and many other digestive tract issues. Some thinks cow milk is for cows, not for humans.
Moreover, the worlds economy needs milk to be a product, that is why only benefits which it brings are a topic of many adverts. But there are also downsides of milk, which is in many ways hidden.
So i suggest you to eliminate milk until your diverticulitis will be healed. It can simply irritate and intensify inflammation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.