Taking antibiotic, birth control pill. Experiencing periodic cramps, dark brown blood and clots. Safe remedy?

I have been on birth control for the last year.. i rarely bleed when i'm on my "period" pills but if i do, i just spot. i'm on my day 9 active pill (shouldn't have my period) and yesterday i was spotting. today, i went to the bathroom and my whole underwear was covered im black or dark brown blood. i wiped myself and it was mostly clots and alot of dark blood. why is this happening? i take pregnancy tests every month cause i worry and i never am!! i didn't take one last week but i should be fine! i never miss a pill! i am on antibiotics.. levaquin and cipro.. could this do it? i have cramps too like a normal period. im worried !
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The clots and dark brown blood that you have is likely to be due to a delayed period. Since you do not have periods during the period pills, the collected blood becomes brown which has now come out.
There is nothing to worry. This bleeding will subside on its own like periods. This is not indicative of pregnancy.
Taking antibiotics and a generalized illness can cause such a change in the cycle. This is not worrisome.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.