Taking antibiotic and cough syrup. Have clogged ear. Any suggestion?

I have a stopped up ear from bronchitis. I'm on antibiotic and cough syrup but ear is still clogged after 5 days. Any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 31 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. One of the main elements of middle ear infections is partial obstruction of the tube that connects the throat and the middle ear, causing a sensation of clogged ears or being underwater. Antihistaminics such as Benadryl, but particularly, decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are helpful. It makes take several days for things to get better. If no improvement is seen in the next few days, I would contact the provider that saw you initially for further action.

Hope this helps with your query, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Follow-up: Taking antibiotic and cough syrup. Have clogged ear. Any suggestion? 5 hours later
I can't take pseodoephhederine because of heart disease. Any other suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 hours later
Thanks for your reply. In that circumstance, nasal inhalers such as oxymetazolin (Afrin) would be useful, and also as I mentioned antihistaminics like benadryl, fexofenadine or cetirizine.

Hope this is useful, wish you the best health.

dr brenes salazar