Taking anti inflammatory pain medicine. Developed severe pain and feeling hungry. Is this gastritis or ulcer?

General Surgeon
After taking anti inflammatory pain medecine , the next day i developped severe pain, sensation if hungry pain.
Last 3 days , woke me up at night.
I took ipp for 2 weeks by days 3 i had no more pain.
It was 2 months question is was it grastitis or ulcer?
Do I need endoscopy , i feel well now or no?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It could be peptic ulcer, it could be gastritis and it could be both as well. And the peptic ulcer can be still there, just the one that gives no symptoms. There is no other way to check than endoscopy. But you need to know that endoscopy is not used to fill somebody in. It`s main task is to exclude stomach cancer. And as the symptoms of gastric cancer can not be present at all, or there can be similar to peptic ulcer symptoms, it should never be neglected.
Moreover, it is necessary to check if your gastric wall is not infected by Helicobacter Pylori. It is also very important as some of such infections leads to gastric cancer. Gastric cancer can also develop from peptic ulcer.
So in conclusion, you should have endoscopy, even if you have no symptoms. It is very important to rule gastric cancer out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Taking anti inflammatory pain medicine. Developed severe pain and feeling hungry. Is this gastritis or ulcer? 12 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your awnser, i did have a endoscopy 2 years ago and was diagnosed with hiatal hernia, i did test negative for helicobacter.
What are my risk for gastric cancer im scared

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Don`t be scared. The chances are very low. Like I have said, endoscopy is just to have a 100% percent that there is no cancer at all. Endoscopy 2 years ago is a history, you should have a new one.

Hope this will help.