Taking an ace inhibitor. Still having protein in urine. Should I add in losartan to get rid of protein?

I am taking an ace inhibitor and i still have protein in my urine, should i add in losartan to get rid of protein?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 41 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Treatment of proteinuria requires proper diagnosis of the cause.

You have not mentioned the name of disease, which is causing proteinuria.

If proteinuria is due to diabetic nephropathy, proper control of blood sugar level will help.

First line therapy for proteinuria is ace inhibitor.

If proteinuria is not controlled with ace inhibitor, Losartan can be added to further reduce protein loss, after excluding renal impairment.

Another drug, which can be added, is spironolactone.

As the medicines are to be taken under supervision of your Physician, you should consult him.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,