Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking amoxicillin for dental surgery and Wellbutron, lamictal for armour thyroid. Reason for tea colored urine?

What is reason for brown tea colored urine? I'm taking amoxicillin for dental surgery. It has only happened one time. I do not drink much water. I usually have tea. I am on 150 mg Wellbutron, 600 mg lamictal, 90 mg armour thyroid. I just noticed it. Usually my urine is dark yellow. I would think from not enough water.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and observe

Detailed Answer:
Brown coloured urine indicates presence of blood (RBC's) in the urine - what we call as hematuria. This is usually a benign condition which settles down spontaneously. If the symptoms recur in the next 24 hours, I would think of renal stones as the likely cause. Drug induced renal bleeding would be my second possibility.

Accordingly, my suggestion to you would be to:
1. Wait and watch the amount and color of urine.
2. Drink plenty of fluids to remain well hydrated.

If the symptoms persist, I would encourage you to visit your local doctor. He/she can order set of urine and blood tests - urine routine test, culture and sensitivity test, liver function test, platelet count and Ultrasound KUB. Based on the results a future referral to nephrologist is entailed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.