Taking amoxicillin for an ear infection. Started getting unpleasant smell. Is this normal?

Question
I am taking amoxicillin for an ear infection and it seems to be effecting my sense of taste because some things, such as pastry tastes very unpleasant. Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

Your altered taste sensation could be related to amoxiciline. You do not have to worry and it will improve with time. Altered taste sensation can be due to viral infections, drugs, zinc deficiency, cancer chemotherapy also.

Let me know if you have any other concern

Beat wishes

Follow-up: Taking amoxicillin for an ear infection. Started getting unpleasant smell. Is this normal? 2 hours later
Thanks for your help. I should have told you I am also taking sudafed for sinus congestion. Apparently that, too leaves a horrible taste in your mouth. Meat pie and instant coffee tastes like it could poison you

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 7 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

Do not worry at all. You will improve with time once your acute problems are over

Let me know If I can help you in any way

Wish you good health

Best wishes