Taking amoxicillin and prednisolone for mild chest infection. Cardioversion to be done. Will it be postponed?

General Surgeon
I have AF and I'm due for cardioversion tomorrow, having taken rivaroxaban and atenolol for about 6 - 7 weeks. I was yesterday diagnosed with a mild chest infection and am taking amoxicillin 500mg and 6x prednisolene steroids for this condition which is beginning to improve. Will either my chest infection, or the fact that I am taking this medication for it, cause a postponement to my cardioversion procedure?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 56 minutes later
As per your query,you are going to get Cardioversion tomorrow.If the procedure is done with mild sedation,it will not be postponed.
As you are having mild infection only and is improving,your procedure will be done.
Your drugs like Amoxycillin and prednisolone will not cause any side effects before/during/after the procedure.
If there is severe chest infection and if you are given General anaesthesia,which require clear lungs ,then Postponement can be thought .
But you are improving and that too,Cardioversion needs sedation only;your procedure will be done.
Do not worry
But,it all depends on the treating doctor.
I wish your procedure is completed tomorrow and your cardiac rate and rhythm becomes normal.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery
If you have any queries,i will clarify further