Taking amoxicillin. Missed taking yasmin pill. Started light bleeding. HPT negative. Am I pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi, I am on the pill 10 years (Yasmin) I think I missed a pill at the end of the pack and was on amoxicillin for 2 weeks. It is the 7th day of the pill free week and I only now have very very light bleeding. I have been feeling awful all week. Pregnancy tests were negative. I am never late and always have a heavy withdrawal bleed. I'm concerned. Is this my withdrawal bleed or is there a chance I'm pregnant? I'm on antidepressants so I don't want to just presume that I'm not pregnant. Thank you
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.
XXXXXXX is combined OCP & contains drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol. It is highly effective (more than 99%) in preventing unwanted pregnancy. But taking antidepressant medication & antibiotic like amoxicillin for 2 weeks can decrease effectiveness of the OCP by interfering absorption in the gut. Missing a pill on 3rd week is also associated with some possibility of pregnancy. Light bleeding around missed due date may signify early implantation bleeding.

Here, I suggest to undergo one blood test for beta HCG & TVS (Trans Vaginal Sonography) scan to rule out product of conception if any as early pregnancy test may give negative result.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons of light bleeding or spotting are hormonal imbalance (by effect of XXXXXXX itself), stress/ anxiety, thyroid problem, psychological upset, weight gain or extreme loss, irregular eating habits etc.

Although prolonged pill users (10 yrs in your case) have some side effects including spotting or light bleeding. You may require initial investigations like Ultrasonography (USG) lower abdomen, thyroid profile, other hormone assay, blood sugar etc to rule out underlying pathology if any.

Please consult with your gynecologist after getting test reports and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Please do the following things (in exclusion of pregnancy):

1) Take healthy diet with Haematinics / Iron supplements.
2) Avoid salty or fatty food/coffee in 2nd half of periods.
3) Eat more fruits/ vegetables and drink lots of fluid/water.
4) Avoid stress/ anxiety by doing regular XXXXXXX breathing/yoga.
5) Stop concurrent using of other medication when you are taking OCP or take extra protection on that month.
6) Do light exercise & control body weight. Maintain genital hygiene
7) Need adequate rest and proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen