Taking amlodipine besylate for high BP. Noticed that hair is thinning. Suggest medication without side effect?

Hi, I have been taking amlodipine besylate for almost 7 weeks and have noticed my hair thinning a lot. I have also read that this particular medicine is known for hairloss and alopecia. Can you tell me which HBP medicine does NOT cause hairloss
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Usually beta-blockers or thiazide type diuretics, as opposed to calicum channel blockers (amlodipine) do not have that particular side effect; examples of beta blockers are metoprolol, bisoprolol and carvedilol; examples of thiazide diurectics are chlorthalidone, hydrochlorothiazide and indapamide.

Hope that is helpful, please talk to your provider so you can switch medications to an alternative without that side effect to keep your blood pressure in good shape.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Taking amlodipine besylate for high BP. Noticed that hair is thinning. Suggest medication without side effect? 2 days later
Thank you for your answer....I forgot to mention that I am also taking two 50mg tablets of Cozaar/Losartan Potassium along with half of a 5 mg tablet of the amlodipine.....Does Cozaar also cause hair loss? And, which medication can you take with it besides the Amlodipine?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Thanks for the update; hair loss is NOT a common side effect of losartan. These group of medications can be combined either with beta blockers or diuretics; the combination with diuretics results optimal since it stabilizes potassium levels.

Yours truly