Taking amilodipine and lisinopril for bp. Getting headache, dizziness and nausea. Side effect?

Psychiatrist
Question
Good morning,
My husband (53, fit, reasonably good health) is feeling dizzy, nauseated, with headache, and I just took his b/p which was 148/60 sitting, then 147/59 reclining. The docs just doubled his b/p meds yesterday to 25/20mg of HCTZ/Lisinopril and 10mg of amilodipine. His dialstolic has never been this low. Could this medication increase explain this onset of symptoms, and if so, should he continue with the increased dose or back off until he sees his physician first?
Thank you for your consideration or our query.
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 42 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. He is actually taking three medications for his blood pressure. Amliodipine is a medication which dilates the blood vessels, so it affects the diastolic pressure more than some other antihypertensive medications. As you mentioned, change in the dose is probably the cause of this drop in the pressure. It is appropriate to decrease the dose of amliodipine until he sees his doctor. If he is dehydrated, it is appropriate to take more fluid as well. Dizziness, nauseated and headaches are the common presentations of change in blood pressure and your guess it right. Let me know about any change before or after visiting his doctor. I wish your family a good health.