Taking alprazolam. Cannot sleep. What to do?

Dec 2012

I have been taking alprazolam 1mg for almost one month and I can not sleep at all and I am more anxious. What should I do?

I was taking lorazepam before and that seemed to work better for anxiety but not for the panic disorder. My doctor wanted me to try Xanax because he thought that would,help for both. I have always had trouble with side effects from drugs. I have tried meditation, exercise and that seemed to work. Why this terrible panic and anxiety is because I lost three good friends in the last 6 months. Can anything help me? I can't get these thoughts out of my brain?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later

The truth is that in your situation drugs alone would not help and you will require first the assistance of a psychotherapist and of closest family and other friends. You might even develop resistance to those anxiolytics.
Xanax is a good medication which plays both antidepressive role and also anxiolytic role. But I suggest you get proper guidance before taking any more drugs. A good couseling might yield more that 50% success than changing to take other medications.

Hope this helps

Dr. Nsah