Taking allopurinol. Noticed edema on ankles. Taking uloric. Prescribed norvasc and cozaar. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been taking allopurinol for 1 month, and seeing significant edema in both ankles. Was taking uloric from May thru July, along with colcrys.... But switched to less expensive allopurinol .

Have also been prescribed norvasc and cozaar since May. Any thoughts on the culprit of the swollen ankles? Norvasc prescribed as new BP med due to increased uric acid levels which were felt to be due to long term use diuretics.
Uric acid has been below 4 since July 3, 2013. Bp is controlled. I do not like taking all of these meds. Your thoughts on discontinuing the allopurinol and or colcrys..... Or changing to another channel blocker?..
Of course I am in constant consultation with my primary care physician.... But would like your thoughts.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Taking allopurinol. Noticed edema on ankles. Taking uloric. Prescribed norvasc and cozaar. Suggestions? 7 minutes later
Prior to May 2014, I was taking only one Rx drug: prinvil 20/25

In February 2014, I began having frequent gout flares... Uric acid level 6.9.......
In spite of fact I don't not drink beer, rarely eat red meat, and never eat sardines!

This change in med regime has wrecked havoc on my body. My Bp is controlled, no issues with Cholesterol, etc.

I exercise regularly, only mildly overweight.

The chronic edema worries me.. May progress to very unsightly!

Also adjusted diet to severely limit fruits, dairy, grains. Have lsy 15 lbs since XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
norvasc is known for ankle and leg swelling

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence.

Ankle swelling in your case can be due to gout and also due to use of norvasc.

As your uric acid is near normal level now you can stop allopurinol. colcrys is for acute attack of gout so you can stop that medication also. But you should continue uloric which will maintain your blood levels of uric acid to normal.

You need to consult your physician and change norvasc with may be beta blocker to maintain your blood pressure

It's good that you are maintaining dietary guidelines for controlling your uric acid.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.