Taking alcohol. Got blood clots on lungs. Taking warfin after delivery. Looking for suggestion

Iv been on warfrin for 4 months since the birth of my baby I got blood clots on my lungs. My INR has been in range I was 2.3 then 3 weeks ago went down to 1.4 so my dose went up from 4/4.5 alt day to 4.5 then my INR was 1.8 so they put it up gain last week to 4.5/5 alt day and this week it's gone to 1.7 so now they are putting me up to 5. I'm 34 and so worried I don't know what I'm doing wrong I avoid everything they tell me to, anything green that is and very little alcohol.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 33 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

According to your history, you had blood clots in lungs, for which anti-coagulation with warfarin is given.

I can understand you are worried that you did not achieve desired INR, it is a process where we need to titrate the dose of Warfarin with the result of PT (INR).

I am sure you are following dietary restriction as explained to you.
Green leafy vegetable contain high amount of vitamin K1 which oppose action of Warfarin.

This drug interacts with various drugs please let me know other medicines you are taking, we need to check drug interaction.
Use of alcohol actually increases chances of higher INR and bleeding.

Please do not worry and increase the dose and hopefully desired INR will be achieved, that is between 2 and 3.

Hope this information is helpful to you, please provide above details so that can clarify better.

If you have any other doubts please ask, I will be available to clarify.

With best Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.