Taking actonel. Can I have a cup of tea, milk after taking medication?

I am taking actonel on a weekly basis. Could I have a cup of tea, no milk a half hour after taking the medication?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

As per information given, you have hypertension, hypothyroidism and asthma. Presently you are on Actonel (risedronate) on a weekly basis, probably for osteoporosis.

Take this medication with a full glass of plain water (6 to 8 ounces or 180 to 240 milliliters). Do not take it with any other beverage. Swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or suck on it. Then stay fully upright (sitting, standing or walking) for at least 30 minutes, and do not lie down until after your first food of the day. Wait at least 30 minutes after taking risedronate before you eat or drink anything other than plain water and before taking any other medication by mouth.

You may take green tea or liquor tea (without milk or dairy whitener) half an hour after taking the medication. Calcium or iron supplements, vitamins with minerals, antacids containing calcium/magnesium/aluminum, dairy products (such as milk, yogurt), and calcium-enriched juice may interfere with absorption of risedronate.

I hope this answers your question,
In case of any queries do write back,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.