Taking actiblok am 50 and zolfresh daily. How to get rid of these pills?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have to wake till 2.00AM for my regular job (on computer). After 2.00AM i am unable to sleep at all and i take Zolfresh (10md) daily. My weight is 102kg height 5.5 inch. I take ACTIBLOK AM 50 daily for blood pressure control. How can i get rid of these pills.
High blood pressure was detected three years ago, but since then it is always normal. I dont know if the normal blood pressure is due to medicine or not.
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Taking a hypnotic at night daily is obviously a bad habit. Zolpidem although once considered safe, is no more considered safe and addiction to Zolfresh has been reported frequently. After your work at 2 AM, you should try going to sleep immediately. A warm bath and changing your work clothes to fresh cotton ones if used for a period of time will act as cues to the body to get ready to sleep. The sleeping area should be used exclusively for sleeping and should not be used for any other purpose. The sleep hours should be fixed and waking time should also be fixed. Even in case you did not get sleep untll 5 am, you should wake up by 8 am if you are sleeping at 2am. You may stay drowsy that day, but then you will feel sleepy by 2 am the next day. Keep away from coffee and aerated or energy drinks. Keep away from alcohol and smoking. Add exercise to your life. A 20 min aerobic exercise will do wonders for your sleep and weight.
About stopping zolfresh, you should do it only gradually by taking 5 mg for 4-5 days and then stopping it.
Regarding your anti hypertensives, ones a person is hypertensive , he is generally hypertensive for life. Please dont think to stop about stopping the medications. Stoppage of medications causes BP to shoot and is a bad idea to stop them. Instead start living a healthy lifestyle with exercise and good diet and try reducing your weight.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!

Follow-up: Taking actiblok am 50 and zolfresh daily. How to get rid of these pills? 48 minutes later
Thanks for replying,

I dont take coffee, aerated or energy drink. I am a non smoker and non alcohlic person. I do take tea at around 10 PM.
Yes, My working table is in my bedroom and I work with my casual cloths.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 minutes later
Thanks for asking a clarification. As you said, you work in your bedroom and over a period of time your mind has accepted your bedroom as a place of work and not for sleep and rest. Thats the reason you dont get sleep there.
Either you shift your workstation or change the place of sleep. Also have some dim light in the bedroom area. Dont try too hard to sleep.In case you dont get sleep, sit up, do some reading and go to bed only when you feel sleepy. You should try skipping the tea at 10pm and instead take it at 8 am when you wake up.Please try following the steps I mentioned in my previous answer.
Wish you a good health!