Taking acid reducer for heart burn. Having stomachache and nausea. Can I take ppi and probiotic?

I am taking a prescription stomach acid reducer for heart burn , now I only get heart burn very rarely, but lately I have stomach cramps and a some nausea ( only once) I was wondering can I also a probiotic supplement with my other supplements to help by stomach pain which I have had off and on for a few weeks. comes and goes. Can I take the ppi and a probiotic?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concern.

You are taking a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) which is very good drug for hyperacidity. Please continue to take it as per your prescription.

Your stomach cramp if it is mild and due to your intestines a supplement of probiotics will help for your gut health and you can take it as they contain helpful microorganisms like lactobacillus.

If your cramp is not relieved or it gets worse please visit your doctor to know exact cause of cramp, so that it can be treated accordingly.

Hope this information is helpful to you and if you have any further query.
Please feel free for any clarification.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.