Taking Zetia. Feeling tired and drowsy. How to prevent it?

I have been taking Zetia for approximately 1 month...over the past two weeks, I am extremely tired after working all the point that it is difficult to keep from dosing off while driving home! Is there some thing I can do to prevent this from happening?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear madam,

You are taking Zetia that contains ezetimibe that lowers plasma cholesterol levels.
Hope you are satisfied with the answer. Arthralgias , fatigue and myalgias that is feeling of tiredness and being unwell are infrequent adverse effects (0.1–1% of patients) but well known with this drug .

Since this drug is not suiting you I think you should see your treating doctor and request for a change . A trial of statins like atorvastatin is frequently recommended .

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking Zetia. Feeling tired and drowsy. How to prevent it? 23 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXX, for your response. Unfortunately, I have already been on statins...and am not able to tolerate them either! I was diagnosed with "statin induced pancreatitis" about a year and a half ago while on simvastatin. I am told that Zetia was one of the last drugs that I may be able to tolerate.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later

Thanks for replying back.

In that case few studies are there to suggest that many patients who are intolerant of statins will be intolerant of ezetimibe. Bile acid sequestrants and resins may be the safest choice in these cases to lower cholesterol.

I think you should see your treating doctor to let him assess whether change of drug is required or not.