Taking Zeptol and feeling weak, unable to stand or walk. History of epilepsy. What is the cause and cure?

age 80, Male. weight 88 kg..history of epilepsy..been taking zeptol (tegretol) thrice a day for many years..suddeny feeling very week ..unable to stand/walk..what is the cause and cure
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later

From the information provided looks like you have ataxia (unsteadiness or imbalance while walking). Considering your age and the medications, possibilities are:

1. Side effects of Zeptol (Carbamazepine)
2. Acute Stroke
3. Peripheral nerve or spinal cord problems.

So I personally recommend you to XXXXXXX your Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation. Check your blood levels of Zeptol to rule out toxicity. If the levels of the medicine is high, reducing the dose will benefit you. Also we need to rule out the possibility of low sodium levels in you which can rarely manifest with ataxia.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist