Taking Xarelto for Afib. Can I stop medication before the surgery and continue after the surgery?

I go in next Tuesday to have a revision of my left knee TKA. I am taking Xarelto for Afib. My cardiologist said I could stop taking the Xarelto the day before the surgery and resume the day after surgery. I have 3 MD friends and as was telling them about stopping and restarting the Xarelto the day before and the day after surgery, each one gritted their teeth and one-at-time blurted out: "I'd get a second opinion if I were you XXXXXXX So is that the "Golden Standard" of stopping and restarting Xarelto before and after the knee surgery?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 48 minutes later
welcome to XXXXXXX
i am a qualified cardiologist, i read your mail with diligence.
Xarelto is a new oral anti coagulant approved for Prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation.

People with atrial fibrillation (an irregular heart beat) are at an increased risk of forming a blood clot in the heart, which can travel to the brain, causing a stroke, or to other parts of the body. XARELTO lowers your chance of having a stroke by helping to prevent clots from forming. If you stop taking XARELTO, you may have increased risk of forming a clot in your blood.
XARELTO can cause bleeding, which can be serious, and rarely may lead to death. This is because XARELTO is a blood thinner medicine that reduces blood clotting. While you take XARELTO you are likely to bruise more easily and it may take longer for bleeding to stop.

If anticoagulation must be discontinued to reduce the risk of bleeding with
surgical or other procedures, XARELTO should be stopped at least 24 hours
before the procedure to reduce the risk of bleeding .
XARELTO should be restarted after the surgical or other procedures as soon as adequate hemostasis has been established, noting that the time to onset of therapeutic effect is short If oral medication cannot be taken during or
after surgical intervention, consider administering a parenteral anticoagulant.

tank you.