Taking Xanax for nervousness. Have arm pain, chest pressure. BP inconsistent. Normal tests. History of costochondritis

Hello! I am a very nervous person and take xanax etc and also betablocker - etc and has recently been in the hospital for two days to check up heart - as I have under arm pain and pressure in my chest - andwhen I went to ER I took a piece of the nitro and it seemed to help - this under arm pain comes on pretty frequently - and by thge way they said I had angina - only because the nitro helped - and my blood pressure have been so inconsistent also - but i havetaken all tests for heart and all came back normal - I have a dr appoint ment on Thursday for heart again and he has said to me before that the arm pain is NOT coming from the heart - I have had panick attacks but feelslike th betablocker is helping - that is inderal 10 mg - but as soon I get the under arm pain I get anxious and nervous and has been for a long long time.- and my blood pressure goes up when i move around then. At two times 2012 dr diagnosed me with costochondritis and at that time I did not have any under arm pain at all - wonder if this can be the same again? XXXXXXX and YYYY@YYYY

can anxiety and tension nervousness raise blood pressure - just now I can barely not walk around until it reaches 150/101 and the heart rate good 67
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Taking Xanax for nervousness. Have arm pain, chest pressure. BP inconsistent. Normal tests. History of costochondritis 17 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

In Costochondritis, the pain is restricted to the one spot.

Under arm pain in a woman dictates the need to examine the breast – the area of drainage of the lymph node...

Tension / Anxiety can raise the heart rate and blood pressure.
All these in combination – anxiety, rate & pressure – can be due to a another common cause like Pheochromocytoma (Adrenal gland). It need to be excluded...

Nitro can relive the heart pain.
But relief by nitro does not confirm the pain is coming from the heart.
Any smooth muscle spasm (like food pipe) can also be relieved...

Beta-blocker has several actions – helps anxiety / migraine / heart rate / blood pressure! But the dose of 10 mg is very small (usual daily dose is from 40 to 160 - maximum is 320 mg!)

You need further investigation for Coronary Artery Disease
EKG / HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) / ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck