Taking Vyvanse and Cymbalta for ADD and depression. What are the long-term effects on baby during early pregnancy?

I am wanting to start planning for a family. I currently take Vyvanse 40mg and Cymbalta 60mg. My psychiatrist just tells me not to become pregnant. I know the safest thing for the baby would be to discontinue both of these medications. But, I would become depressed and my ADD would get bad so were I would not be able to work or even take care of house hold chores or myself. I want to figure out what would be best for both baby and I. I can come off the meds for the third trimester and take short term disability leave for 3 months and then after my husband could stay home with the infant and take maternity leave.

My question....

What do studies show as far as long term effects on the baby when taking Cymbalta and Vyvanse during the first and second trimester? And what would you advise for my medication management during prenancy? Should I seriously not plan on becoming pregnant while on these medications like my psychiatrist tells me?

What I know....
A number of studies in rodents indicate that prenatal or early postnatal exposure to amphetamine (d- or d,l-) at doses similar to those used clinically can result in long-term neurochemical and behavioral alterations. Reported behavioral effects include learning and memory deficits, altered locomotor activity, and changes in sexual function.There are no apparent effects on embryofetal morphological development or survival when orally administered to pregnant rats and rabbits throughout the period of organogenesis at doses of up to 6 and 16 mg/kg/day, respectively. Infants born to mothers dependent on amphetamines have an increased risk of premature delivery and low birth weight. Also, these infants may experience symptoms of withdrawal as demonstrated by dysphoria, including agitation, and significant lassitude.

When duloxetine was administered orally to pregnant rats and rabbits during the period of organogenesis, there was no evidence of teratogenicity at doses up to 45 mg/kg/day (7 times the maximum recommended human dose [MRHD, 60 mg/day] and 4 times the human dose of 120 mg/day on a mg/m² basis, in rat; 15 times the MRHD and 7 times the human dose of 120 mg/day on a mg/m² basis in rabbit). When duloxetine was administered orally to pregnant rats throughout gestation and lactation, the survival of pups to 1 day postpartum and pup body weights at birth and during the lactation period were decreased at a dose of 30 mg/kg/day (5 times the MRHD and 2 times the human dose of 120 mg/day on a mg/m² basis); the no-effect dose was 10 mg/kg/day. Furthermore, behaviors consistent with increased reactivity, such as increased startle response to noise and decreased habituation of locomotor activity, were observed in pups following maternal exposure to 30 mg/kg/day. Post-weaning growth and reproductive performance of the progeny were not affected adversely by maternal duloxetine treatment.
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women; therefore, duloxetine should be used uring pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Neonates exposed to SSRIs or serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of SSRIs and SNRIs or, possibly, a drug discontinuation syndrome. It should be noted that, in some cases, the clinical picture is consistent with serotonin syndrome [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].

Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 7 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You have done a lot of research on these medicines so I will not repeat the same things again. These medicines are category C drugs which are ideally avoided in pregnancy. I agree with your psychiatrist that you should not conceive while taking these medicines. If you are keen to conceive, ask your psychiatrist for safer medicines or to decrease/ stop the intake of these medicines. The initial three months of pregnancy are very crucial when the baby and its organs are formed so any harmful medicine is to be avoided atleast in this period. You should discuss the option of discontinuing these medicines in early months of pregnancy with your psychiatrist. Also to my knowledge, these medicines are habit forming drugs, so in my opinion should not be continued for long. However, this would depend on a case to case basis and a discussion with your psychiatrist is essential. Psychotherapy and other alternate therapies could also be options that you can explore.

Best wishes