Taking Vyvance for ADHD. Medicine not effective for the whole day. Need dosage correction

Psychiatrist
Question
medicinehi I'm 22 female about 5'6 and 224lbs. I'm currently taking Vyvance for my ADHD. I'm on 30mgs once daily. if I take one at 6am. and another at 3 will I be okay. I take mine when I get up but it seems to fade or ware off about 3-4 pm.

I just want to know would it be ok to take 2 in 24 hours but within 12 hours spans.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I understand your concern and appreciate the effort you have made to find out what’s best for you.

Vyvance contains Lisdexamphetamine, which is a psycho-stimulant prodrug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine chemical classes. Its molecular structure consists of dextroamphetamine with the essential amino acid L-lysine.

Vyvance is used for ADHD (Attention deficit Hyperactive Disorder) . It is given in day time only as there is no need to control ADHD symptom in night during sleep and it may interfere with sleep with night doses.

Apart from that it helps to keep body drug free for sometime in night which prevent tolerance development for medicine. Many doctors advice to have drug holidays on Sunday or other holidays to provide drug free periods.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do accept my answer if you have no further queries or doubts.

Wishing you a good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking Vyvance for ADHD. Medicine not effective for the whole day. Need dosage correction 7 minutes later
you didn't answer my question at all

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 17 minutes later
Hello again,

Dosing schedule depend on the lifestyle and required duration of effects. As in your effect is fading around 3pm then you can take morning dose 2 hr later or can take total medicine in two divided doses: morning and afternoon.

But same time inform your physician regarding dosing.

Wishing you a good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking Vyvance for ADHD. Medicine not effective for the whole day. Need dosage correction 16 minutes later
what if I just take 2 pills in the morning. can I do that and take 60mg instead of 30

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
Hello again,

Vyvance contains Lisdexamphetamine, which is a psycho-stimulant. Misuse of it may cause sudden death and serious heart problems. It is federally controlled substance (CII) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Patients also develop tolerance if this medicine is not supervised by doctor.

This drug is clinically recommended at a starting dose is 30 mg once daily in the morning and can be increased upto a maximum dose of 70 mg per day as per the needs of the patient - the right drug dosage needed is formulated after detailed history of complaints, diagnosis, weight, physical examination findings and laboratory examination findings.

Inappropriate usage may cause sudden death, stroke, and myocardial infarction in adults, psychiatric adverse reactions, and increase in blood pressure, long-term suppression of growth, seizures, etc. So, to increase dose all the aforementioned parameters need to be reviewed.

Hence it is wise to consult your physician to make the necessary changes in the dosage.

Hope this helps.

Regards.