Taking Volibo, Cetapin and Insulin simultaneously. Any side effect?

Question
Iam taking Volibo.3 thrice daily before meal. Also I am taking Cetapin XR 1000 twice daily after meal. Is there any side effect of taking both the medicine simultaneously
along with Hum Insulin 30/70 twice. Side effect means stomac upset.
S XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hunger pain with cetaphin-XR and Hum Insulin use

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

No sir, there have been no documented interactions between volibo and cetaphin-XR, so it safe to take these two medications together.

But taking cetaphin-XR along with human insulin 30/70 can result in an intensified effect on lowering blood sugar which can cause side effects like hunger (hunger pain; abdominal pain), dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, headaches, sweating, confusion, nervousness and/or tremor. But it cannot result in a stomach upset as such, the only gastric symptom would be increased hunger with hunger pain/abdominal cramping or pain. For this reason, blood sugar levels will have to be closely monitored at all times.

I hope this information answers your query sir. Please feel free to write back to me if my response is unclear or if you have any further queries.

Best wishes sir.

Follow-up: Taking Volibo, Cetapin and Insulin simultaneously. Any side effect? 20 hours later
Whether it will be better to take Cetapin P15 in place of Cetapin XR1000 ?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to stick to cetapin XR

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

In my opinion, as you are already on human insulin 30/70, it would be better to stick to cetapin XR (as this contains only metformin), whereas, cetapin P15 (contains pioglitazone and metformin).

It is best to avoid cetapin P15 as this leads to a drop in blood sugar levels to a larger extent, whereas, cetapin XR would be a much more mild version, as human insulin would take care of most of the blood suagr rise.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Taking Volibo, Cetapin and Insulin simultaneously. Any side effect? 40 minutes later
Whether Volibo .3 has got any adverse side effect ? I have got frequent Hypoglacemia problem. Is it advisble to take Volibo .3 and Cetapin XR1000 alongwith
human insulin 30/70, 26 units at lunch and 16 units at dinner.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects listed; need to change med or dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

The side effects of volibo can be:
-Low blood sugar
-Skin reactions
-Pain
-Flatulence
-Diarrhea
-Abdominal pain
-Diarrhea
-Altered liver function

If you are experiencing episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) quite often, then it is best to either remove one of the medications from your treatment regimen or reduce the dose.

Please discuss the same with your doctor and find medication and dosages most suited to your requirements. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.