Taking Valprol and Mirtaz for depression. Worsening depression. What should I be doing?

i am suffering from depression since last 10 has cycle. i had been on valprol cr-200 and mirtaz 7.5 mg since last four months. now again depression has worsen. what should i be doing? Thanks
i am seeking your advise what drug i should be taking. my e-mail id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 49 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 58 year old male
• Known case of recurrent depression
• Complaints of: depression.

In recurrent depression we use mood stabilisers like Valprol for long term. When depression occur or do not relieved with mood stabilizers some anti depressants like Mirtaz is added in treatment.

Your current treatment appear to satisfactory to me but considering you are having some symptoms medicine doses need to increase. It better to double current dose in your case (Valprol cr 500mg and Mirtaz 15mg per day) after prescription from your psychiatrist.

Even after change in dose, medicine used to take 2-3 weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.