Taking Valium for anxiety. Have back pain, flatulence, diarrhea. Correlation between back pain and bowel movements?

hello. I'm 44 years of age with no medical history with the exception of moderate to severe anxiety for which I am currently taking valium. about two months ago, I started having low left back pain, with gas (flatulance). visited doctor and described pain which he said was sciatic (sacrum related). pain and gas persisted for about one month until I initiated yoga based stretching routine. low left pain and gas disappeared and bowel movements improved significantly. two weeks ago, i ate large meals of barbequed ribs, and two days later had diarrhea. five days later developed pain in low left back, which at times would radiate to right side as well, and accompanied with gas. bowel movements were somewhat normal, but yesterday had explosive diarrhea after eating salad. I recently took a couple gas pills and started stretching again...back is improving and bowel movements seems better although a little undigested fiber in stool. Is there a correlation between back pain and bowel movements? What suggestions might you havve? I'm not having any stomach pain, but some intermittemt colic feeling on both sides, and some discomfort which seems to radiate from low back
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 16 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query.

Well looking into the history that you have given carefully I find that you are having recurrent bouts of diarrhoea accompanied with intermittent pain . The symptoms that you are giving can be caused by a number of diseases so it will be very difficult to point one out but we can discuss the possibilities .

In your case since you give a history of suffering from anxiety disorder I feel that the possibilty of irritable bowel syndrome is much more as compared to other diseases which can give this kind of picture .

I advise you to consult a gastroenterologist and get a USG abdomen to look for any pathology . A stool r/m is also required . I dont think that your back pain and loose motions are related. Till then I advise you to avoid spicy food and take small portions at time .

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking Valium for anxiety. Have back pain, flatulence, diarrhea. Correlation between back pain and bowel movements? 7 minutes later
would taking gas pills help with this. since taking them, I have noticed a significant improvement in both the back pain, and the stool motility improved immediately???
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thanks for reverting back.

If you think that the medicine relieves your symptoms then you can take it . But you should consult your doctor before that .